QUEENSLAND ALUMINA LIMITED
CLIENT: QUEENSLAND ALUMINA LIMITED
PROJECT: QAL – WASTE TANK 1 REPLACEMENT
LOCATION: GLADSTONE QUEENSLAND
QUEENSLAND ALUMINA LIMITED is a Brownfield Alumina Refining Plant owned and operated by both Rio Tinto and Rusal. The Plant is located Parsons Point Gladstone in Central Queensland. The site of the proposed works is within the boundaries of the existing Operating Plant. The Project Scope encompasses the removal and replacement of an existing Waste Tank.
- Remove/Demolish Corroded Tank
- Design and Construct New Tank with Access Platforms and Ladders to meet API/AS Standards
- Install new Tank, associated Access Platforms, Ladders and existing Pipework
- Commission new Tank
A combination of Methods was used to complete the Demolition Works by means of Reverse Engineering to ensure a controlled and safe manner was maintained during the entire process. Demolition will be phased in such a way as to allow the removal of waste materials and to preserve the stability of the building structure during the demolition process.
These are outlined below.
Xtreme Engineering were contracted by QAL to Design, Demolish, Supply and Install a new Waste Tank System to sustain the longevity of the Plant and System which was inclusive of:
- Engineering Re-design and Calculations to ensure capacity and process need were met and also comply with current API/AS Standards
- Detailed drafting of designed Plate and Steelwork for fabrication
- Procurement and supply of steelwork
- Fabrication, Protective Treatment and preassembly of the newly designed Tank
- Transport Logistics and Escort of large loads through heavy Traffic/suburban areas
- Lift Studies to ensure safe installation of the completed Tank as one piece to eliminate excessive works onsite
- Controlled Demolition of a heavily corroded Tank insitu to ensure the surrounding Operational Plant was not at risk from damage or debris
- Erection, Modification and Removal of Load Bearing Scaffold around the existing Tank perimeter
- Installation of new Tank and associated Services; Structural, Piping, Mechanical and Electrical
- Hydro Testing and Commissioning upon completion of new Tank Installation
The Project was successfully completed with zero incidents recorded and the highest level of safety and quality maintained for QAL and Xtreme Engineering Employees. All works incorporating Demolition were in accordance with AS 2601-2001 – The Demolition of Structures, to ensure compliance with Legislative requirements outlined in Work Health and Safety Act 2011.
The overall Project was completed and commissioned within Schedule and Budget with no outstanding Punchlist items.